Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Post Turkey Day Trot

I have mused on joining the cacophony of bloggers for some time, hesitating to jump in due to laziness and a very real doubt that I have much worthwhile to add to the net noise.  My darling sister-in-law Rhonda gave me the final push when she urged me to start a blog during our T-day feast.  I shared my strategy for keeping cut flowers fresh (I bought them on Tuesday, arranged them in vases and kept them in the garage, where the cool temperatures kept them beautiful for Thursday evening).


I subscribe to many great blogs (which I will share) and some others of varying interest.  I hope that this will be less about my thoughts and more about sharing- I hope that all who take the time to take a look will share their tips, thoughts, strategies and resources, so that this blog will become another resource for my friends, family and community.


So- with T-day fresh in everyone's mind, please share!   Your successes, failures to avoid, ideas for next year.  These are mine:


1.  You can never make enough stuffing.


2.  Dry brining is my new favorite way to season the turkey.  It has the added advantage of requiring you to clean and dress the turkey at least 2 days prior to Thanksgiving (one more job done ahead).


3.  As with chicken, I cook my turkey upside down until the last 30-45 minutes.  It keeps the breast meat moist without adding fat.  Just get a couple of oven mitts dirty- it's worth it!


4.  Don't make a turkey over 16 lbs.  They don't cook as evenly and they aren't as tender as smaller birds.  Make 2 if you need more.


I am always on the lookout for appetizers that don't include any starch, as the T-day meal is overloaded with potatoes, stuffing, and pies.  I always end up making stuffed mushrooms and smoked salmon on endive leaves, but would love to hear some other ideas!  


Let me know what you think- and please, be brutally honest!  I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment